Monday, May 14, 2012

Joung Hwan Park / GIFT FOR MUM AND DAD / Wed 11am

     I've always had a hard time choosing a gift for my parents on their anniversary or birthdays, but if you think simple and pay a little attention to them, then choosing a gift will soon become a piece of cake. First, think of something that they would need. If you've been paying attention to them around the house you'd be able to come up with a few things that they would need, or are running out of. It doesn't have to be anything expensive because it would be a waste of money if it's just costly and of no use. When I was trying to choose a gift for my parents on their anniversary last year, I realized they didn't have a proper pair of running shoes for exercising. Hence, I bought a nice pair of matching running shoes on their anniversary, which they liked very much and go jogging every now and then. Second, if you don't know what they need, then go for something practical. By practical, I mean a gift that isn't just a one-off thing and something that can be of use to them regardless of if it's needed or not. Some examples could include cinema or department store vouchers, books for reading, clothing, or even just taking them out to a nice meal and spending some valuable time. Just recently on Parents' Day, my parents visited me from Suwon, and we spent time eating and catching up on things since I lived by myself near campus. When they were leaving for Suwon, I walked with them to the station and, for the first time in my life, I gave them a certain amount of money for them to spend it on whatever they needed. Since there wasn't anything that they needed at that time, I thought this would be a more practical gift. I felt really good when my mum told me that they ended up having a medical check-up and buying some medication for the two of them with the money. For any gift, it's important to always put quality before quantity, but if money isn't the issue, then you should put necessity before practical.

2 comments:

  1. What I like about your writing is that you clearly explain certain words. Especially this sentence is good because at first I didn't imagine practical items. " By practical, I mean a gift that isn't just a one-off thing and something that can be of use to them regardless of if it's needed or not." You also added proper examples. However, I can not understand
    what correlation of money and necessity / practical item. "For any gift, it's important to always put quality before quantity, but if money isn't the issue, then you should put necessity before practical." In this part, if you express your idea in different way, your writing would be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "GIFT FOR MUM AND DAD" (2nd draft)

    I’ve always had a hard time choosing a gift for my parents on their anniversary or birthdays, but if you think simple and pay a little attention to them, then choosing a gift will soon become a piece of cake. First, think of something that they would need. If you’ve been paying attention to them around the house you’d be able to come up with a few things that they would need, or are running out of. It doesn’t have to be anything expensive because it would be a waste of money if it’s just costly and of no use. When I was trying to choose a gift for my parents on their anniversary last year, I realized they didn’t have a proper pair of running shoes for exercising. Hence, I bought a nice pair of matching running shoes on their anniversary, which they liked very much and go jogging every now and then. Second, if you don’t know what they need, then go for something practical. By practical, I mean a gift that isn’t just a one-off thing and something that can be of use to them regardless of if it’s needed or not. Some examples could include cinema or department store vouchers, books for reading, clothing, or even just taking them out to a nice meal and spending some valuable time. Just recently on Parents’ Day, my parents visited me from Suwon, and we spent time eating and catching up on things since I lived by myself near campus. When they were leaving for Suwon, I walked with them to the station and, for the first time in my life, I gave them a certain amount of money for them to spend it on whatever they needed. Since there wasn’t anything that they needed at that time, I thought this would be a more practical gift. I felt really good when my mum told me that they ended up having a medical check-up and buying some medication for the two of them with the money. For any gift, it’s important to always put quality before quantity, but when it comes to necessity and practicality, I suggest you go with what’s best for your parents

    ReplyDelete