Monday, March 19, 2012

Geun-Hong Kim/TV: Could you live without it?/Wed 11am

Geun-Hong Kim

Professor Jon Bahk-Halberg

Introduction to Academic Writing (1)

March 21, 2012

 

Could You Live Without TV?

 

I am sure I can live without TV for two reasons: TV is only a medium that contains contents which matters and TV often limits the use of your imagination. I spend a lot of time watching TV but I concentrate not on TV itself, but the programs. Not through TV, I can watch any program I want through other media like internet, smart-phone, and so on. In addition, you can enjoy the programs that you love in real-time these days. With the introduction of new media technology, TV is getting lost its prominence. Another reason is that I think TV is "the idiot box". Of course there are tones of programs which are good and helpful on TV. But I think watching TV which uses visual images all the time could reduce people's imagination. Because TV offers visual images about everything, people don't need to picture something to themselves, while they do when reading books. Also, TV is not interactive like internet so stuffs people's head with its own visual images, not giving time to them to organize their own thoughts. Therefore, I think I could live even if there is no TV.

 

3 comments:

  1. Hyung-Il Kim, Wed 11a.m.

    what I like about this writing is systematic. your main point seems, we can live without TV because of 2 reasons. I like the word 'idiot box' because it express the TV's properties well. I also like the word prominence because I think this word was very proper. But it's not clear to me the meaning of word 'stuff' in this paragraph.
    I think if you wrote your 2 reasons at the first part, it would be more easy to read. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giving reasons of your opinion was I think a good choice because it was more effective to understand your meanings. Especialy, the sentence "Because TV offers visual images about everything, people don't need to picture something to themselves, while they do when reading books." was impressing. On the other hand, the next sentence "Also, TV is not interactive like internet so stuffs people's head with its own visual images, not giving time to them to organize their own thoughts." was quite confusing to understand the meaning, and I think it should be more clear. And in my opinion, "TV is loosing its prominence." would be better rather than "TV is getting lost its prominence.". Otherwise, your writing is generally well writen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geun-Hong Kim
    Professor Jon Bahk-Halberg
    Introduction to Academic Writing (1)
    March 21, 2012

    Could You Live Without TV?

    I am sure I can live without TV for two reasons: TV is only a medium that contains contents which matters and TV often limits the use of your imagination. I spend a lot of time watching TV but I concentrate not on TV itself, but the programs. Not through TV, I can watch any program I want through other media like internet, smart-phone, and so on. In addition, you can enjoy the programs that you love in real-time these days. With the introduction of new media technology, TV is losing its prominence. Another reason is that I think TV is “the idiot box”. Of course there are tones of programs which are good and helpful on TV. But I think watching TV which uses visual images all the time could reduce people’s imagination. Because TV offers visual images about everything, people don’t need to picture something to themselves, while they do when reading books. Also, TV is not interactive like internet so imposes its own visual images on people, not giving time to them to organize their own thoughts. Therefore, I think I could live even if there is no TV.

    ReplyDelete