Saturday, March 10, 2012

Sehee Hwang/My Life Until Now/Wed 11am

I Am An Outsider
      I don't remember my childhood very well. The earliest childhood I can remember is when I was 4 years old. I used to live in a small town in Seoul. Almost everyday I played outside with my friends hunting rats, playing hide and seek and climbing up a small hill at the back of the town. Those activities affected my life since then. I still love outdoor activities such as soccer, baseball and basketball.
      When I was 7 years old, my family moved to the big city and we started to live in an apartment. There was no vacant place like the small town I used to live. There were roadways and parking lots everywhere. Nevertheless, I didn't stop playing outside. My friends and I played baseball and soccer pretending the space between the parked cars was the home base or the goal.
      I think my middle school and high school years are not that different from other people in my age except for the experience in United States. I lived in Phillipsburg, New Jersey for 10 months as an exchange student. This experience is not something that everybody can go through. I was 16 years old at that time and even if it was only 10 months I was independent of my parents. I lived with the host family but I had to make my lunch and dinner myself, do the laundries, feed the dogs and do the dishes because my host mom didn't take care of me and her household very well. Thanks to my host mom, I learned that there were many things I could do on my own. In addition, I could improve my English skill effectively going to the high school and meeting wonderful friends. Two of the friends still keep in touch and this makes my experience of the United States more special.
      When I was in my early 20s, after graduating from the high school, I did many things like being a member of a band and a volunteer club in HUFS. Like usual, I spent more time hanging out with friends than studying my major. However, after I finished my obligation of military service, I decided to study harder than before for my future.
      Now I am 26 years old. I still play soccer every sunday and like to go outside meeting my friends. One of the things that is different from my childhood is my dream. I used to dream of being a pilot when I was young but these days I dream of being a great composer. Although it is far from what I'm majoring now because of the practical reasons, it doesn't matter. Like I adapted myself to the situation around me pretending the space between the cars as the home base or the goal, I am still finding my way to make my dream come true.

2 comments:

  1. I like baseball too!!
    What is your favorite baseball team?
    I like SK Wyverns!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember my childhood very well but I can tell I really liked playing outside since I was very young. I used to play with my friends hunting rats, doing hide & seek and playing soccer or baseball among the parked cars. In addition, my father used to like to bring me to the sea or the streams in the mountains. I think these activities made not only my body but also my mind healthy. During the middle and high school, I enjoyed playing outside with friends even more. My schol life wass not that different from the others in my age except for the experience in United States as an exchange student. I was there for 10 months. I could improve my English skill going to the high school with natives and met wonderful friends who still keep in touch. Above all, the experience of being independent from parents was the most important part. Now I am 26 years old. I still play soccer every sunday and like to go outside meeting my friends. I will keep trying to be a healthy, outgoing and optimistic person as always.

    ReplyDelete