Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Eom Yuseong/Sense of Place/Wed 11am

Seoul Station, where some people are delighted with meeting their beloved and where others feel a deep sadness saying farewell. For about a year, it seemed to be dark and somber just like Seoul. When I entered Seoul station for the first time, I was confounded by its huge scale and even I could distinguish nothing since the various sounds, each with its own pitch, were blended. People babbled, dragged out their wheeled suitcases and the announcement informed arrivals and departures of trains. Now I feel much more relaxed to look around as I slowly become accustomed to that place. The left side of the station is lined with an information center and many automated ticket machines, the right side with restaurants and cafes - Baskin-Robbins, a Korean restaurant with a red signboard, Paris Croissant, McDonalds and so on. The smells of their foods waft in and entice me, especially the aroma of hot rice freshly cooked, French fries, coffee and newly baked bread. I usually lick a chocolate ice cream of the sweet and soft which always makes me smile. In the meantime, the big and grey train comes and I feel a sudden chill in the air followed by an uncomfortable frictional sound. Soon I feel happier to meet my loved ones getting off the train or sad to say goodbye.

2 comments:

  1. I'm moved reading your writing since the feeling you described in introduction is exactly same with my feeling that I felt first entering Seoul station. You described very well using sense of hearing, sense of sight and so on. I also can imagine the smell of the station which Korean food and fast food mixed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your writing because the description is very detailed. The use of tastes is especially good. I can imagine and feel Seoul Station while reading your paragraph.
    Now I will check it according to the editor's checklist at book.
    First, your paragaraph has a topic sentence well introduces Seoul Station.
    Second, background information is also well mixed with the description.
    Third, I think words and adjectives are adequate.
    However, I don't know what dark and somber aspect of Seoul-the sentence 'For about a year, it seemed to be dark and somber just like Seoul'.

    ReplyDelete