Monday, April 2, 2012

Sehee Hwang/Sense of Place/Wed 11am

     Playground in HUFS
 
     I go to the playground in HUFS every sunday to play soccer. It takes about an hour and a half from my house. I have to take the bus first and then transfer to the subway. It is very hot and stuffy because there are so many people in the small space. All I see is people's heads. As soon as I arrive at the destination, I walk toward the HUFS staring at the front gate because the playground is right there. I like being in the middle of the playground because it has a fair view. I can see the white goal posts on each side. In further distance, there is the main building and the Minerva Complex right in front of it. I can barely see the Memorial Hall through the trees. When the weather is fine, I can the Hall of Peace at the end of the Kyunghee University campus. However, if you lower your head and look at the ground, all you see is brown sand. It is very dry and rough. It makes me feel hotter in the summer, colder in the winter. Sometimes, thanks to the tiny sandstorm, I can taste the sand. It's salty and dry. You need some water to taste it. Even so, many people come to the playground and play sports. You can hear them shouting and the sound of tiny rocks bumping against each other underneath their feet. I like those sounds because it is very energetic and healthy. If the playground was the grass field. I might get hurt less and it would be much softer than the sand but I wouldn't be able to hear the tiny rocks crashing underneath the people's feet. There would be no more sandstorm neither the chance to taste the sand. I think I like the way it is.

3 comments:

  1. I could read the paragraph smoothly. What I have to do is to follow your sight and movement only. It feels like the beginning part of novels, which is usually rich in detail. Since your description is accompanied with most of the senses, it is quite easy to imagine how you feel when you go to the HUFS playground, stand there and play soccer. I just giggled at the sentence “All I see is people’s heads.” ㅎㅎㅎ I suggest that the second sentence from the last one could be improved by using some proper conjunctions. For example: If the playground was the grass field, I might get hurt less since it is much softer than the sand.
    And here is my personal question: Where is the Memorial Hall?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blood type is O. It is commonly know in Korea that people with type O blood are likely to be optimistic and outgoing. I think I am the typical type O blood person. For instance, I never get stressed out too much. Whenever I get irritated at something, I stop everything and start to think. Just thinking for some minutes helps me calm down. Then I talk to myself “Okay, let’s give it a try. You will know what is going to happen after that. It might end up nicely.” In addition, I imagine the situation that the problems are solved and everything went well after all. This really helps me feel better. Other than that, I play sports or piano to get rid of the stress. The reason why I think I’m an outgoing person is because I like talking to people. It doesn’t matter even if they are strangers but I don’t usually talk to them first because considering the cultural base of Koreans, it is unusual. So, when somebody speaks to me I pleasurably answer to him. Otherwise I enjoy chatting with the taxi drivers. There are also bad sides of the type O blood personality. I will always try to upgrade my optimistic and outgoing personality and keep working on to improve the bad sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (the paragraph above is wrong reply)

      I go to the HUFS stadium every Sunday to play soccer. I have to go through an hour and a half long journey from my house transferring from hot and stuffy bus to crowded subway. Finally I can stand on the HUFS stadium and it feels very fresh. Moreover, after going through the rough journey, the fair view of the campus makes HUFS stadium look much bigger than its original size. This fair view is one of the reasons I like this place. I can see the white goal posts on each side. In the further distance, there is the main building and the Minerva Complex right in front of it. I can also barely see the Memorial Hall through the trees which is located between the two buildings. When the weather is fine, I can see the Hall of Peace which is located at the end of the KyungHee University campus. Unlike the beautiful view of the campus, if you lower your head and look at the ground, all you see is dry and dusty brown sand. The dryness and roughness of the sand makes me feel hotter in the summer, colder in the winter. In windy days, thanks to the little sandstorm, I can taste the salty and dry sand. Even so, HUFS stadium is always crowded with people playing sports on weekends. I can hear them shouting and the sound of tiny rocks bumping against each other underneath the people’s feet. I like that sound because it is energetic and healthy. If the playground was the grass field, it would be much softer and people wouldn’t get hurt that much. However, I wouldn’t be able to hear the tiny rocks crashing underneath my feet and there would be no more sandstorm neither the chance to taste the sand. I like HUFS stadium the way it is right now.

      Delete