Monday, April 9, 2012

Joung Hwan Park / Acoustic music / Wed 11am

     There are various genres of music that I listen to, but I've always been a big fan of acoustic style music. To be exact, my favorite type of music is of those which use acoustic guitars in them. The first thing that comes up in my mind when I think of the word "acoustic" is the sound of picks or fingers strumming or plucking the steel strings, which echoes throughout the body of the guitar and produces a beautiful melody or a chord. Compared to rock music, which is loud, of fast tempo, and somewhat heavy, acoustic music is more soft, relaxing, and of slow or medium tempo. My two favorite acoustic singer-songwriters are Jason Mraz and John Mayer. I enjoy listening to the sound of their acoustic guitars combined with percussion instruments that goes well with acoustic guitars such as the jembe, cajon and shaker. One of the reasons I like acoustic music is because I can actually sing and play the songs myself if I practice enough. Although I'm not able to imitate the smooth voices and professional guitar skills of acoustic artists, I can feel the mix of emotions inside which could be sometimes mind-soothing, sometimes exciting, or sometimes passionate. I think my love for the non-artificial or natural sounds of acoustic music and its way of relaxing my mind would never change in the future.

3 comments:

  1. What I liked in this paragraph is “balance”. It looks very balanced, because there are some explains about acoustic music and comparing with rock and why you like it and lot of thing, I think you display well these facts. So it makes me comfortable when I write this paragraph. Maybe the thing that my favorite music is acoustic also makes me feel like that. But in the sentence, “The first thing that comes up in my mind when I think of the word "acoustic" is the sound of picks or fingers strumming or plucking the steel strings, which echoes throughout the body of the guitar and produces a beautiful melody or a chord” I cannot understand what produces a beautiful melody or a chord. It will be read easier if you insert some words on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I really agree with the above opinion and I also felt some difficulties to understand acoustic music since I am not very used to listening it. What I especially like is the part comparing rock music to acoustic music. It really makes me easy to understand the stlye of acoustic music. Also, it is impressive to me. But I think this sentence "To be exact, my favorite type of music is of those which use acoustic guitars in them." is quite complicating...It is hard to catch the meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Acoustic songs" (2nd draft)

    There are various genres of music that I listen to, but I’ve always been a big fan of acoustic style music. The first thing that comes up in my mind when I think of the word “acoustic” is the sound of picks or fingers strumming or plucking the steel strings, which echoes throughout the body of the guitar, which combines to produce a beautiful melody or chord. Compared to rock music, which is loud, of fast tempo, and somewhat heavy, acoustic music is more soft, relaxing, and of slow or medium tempo. My two favorite acoustic singer-songwriters are Jason Mraz and John Mayer. I enjoy listening to the sound of their acoustic guitars combined with percussion instruments that goes well with acoustic guitars such as the jembe, cajon and shaker. One of the reasons I like acoustic music is because I can actually sing and play the songs myself if I practice enough. Although I’m not able to imitate the smooth voices and professional guitar skills of acoustic artists, I can feel the mix of emotions inside which could be sometimes mind-soothing, sometimes exciting, or sometimes passionate. I think my love for the non-artificial or natural sounds of acoustic music and its way of relaxing my mind would never change in the future.

    ReplyDelete