Sunday, April 1, 2012

Geun-Hong Kim/The Computer Lab/Wed 11am

Geun-Hong Kim

Professor Jon Bahk-Halberg

Introduction to Academic Writing (1)

April 4, 2012

 

The Computer Lab

 

             A place which has unforgettable memories for me is a computer lab located on the first floor of the Institute of Teaching and Learning Development. There are a number of computers with editing program. During my freshman year, I was in a filmmaking club. Therefore, I edited a lot of films with my club members in there. Because of computers, it was warm in winter but breathtakingly hot in summer. In addition, the lab was not that clean since it was open to all students. Thus, I remember that staying in there was not always a pleasant experience. However, it usually took so long to edit one film, so we had to spend many nights in the computer lab. We slept in chairs in rows and secretly ate chickens, cookies, and teokbokki for late-night snacks. If we got tired of editing or were fed up with looking at monitors, we played cards or online games like Tetris. Because the building closed in the nights, we had to escape through a crack in the locked door for breathing in fresh air and taking a walk. Accordingly, I looked forward to another exhilarating experience whenever we go there. Now, most of my club members graduated, so when I'm passing by the computer lab, it calls to mind the time we spent together in the computer lab.

2 comments:

  1. Your expression on your unforgettable place is so vivid and graphic that I can't believe you write this essay only by your memory. I think all five senses that people can feel, the sense of sight, hearing, smell, touch, taste are involved in your essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geun-Hong Kim
    Professor Jon Bahk-Halberg
    Introduction to Academic Writing (1)
    April 4, 2012
    Final draft

    The Computer Lab

    A place which has unforgettable memories for me is a computer lab located on the first floor of the Institute of Teaching and Learning Development. There are a number of computers with editing program. During my freshman year, I was in a filmmaking club. Therefore, I edited a lot of films with my club members in the computer lab. Because of the heat from computers, it was warm in winter but breathtakingly hot in summer. In addition, the computer lab was not that clean since it was open to all students. Thus, I remember that staying in the computer lab was not always a pleasant experience. However, it usually took so long to edit even one film so we had to spend many nights in the computer lab. We slept in chairs in rows and secretly ate chickens, cookies, and teokbokki for late-night snacks. If we got tired of editing or were fed up with looking at monitors, we played cards or online games like Tetris. Because the building was closed in the night, we had to escape through a crack in the locked door for breathing in fresh air and taking a walk around the campus. Accordingly, I looked forward to another exhilarating experience whenever we go there. Now, most of my club members graduated, so when I’m passing by the computer lab, it calls to mind the time we spent together in the computer lab.

    ReplyDelete