Monday, April 2, 2012

Kim Seong Yeol / Sense of place - My room / Wed 11a.m.

Sense of place - My room

 

It is obvious that the place where I can observe and memorize the most is my room, where I spend most of my time in. My room is quite big enough because I turned my balcony into a part of my room. However, there is no heating under the floor of the balcony, so its temperature is lower than other sides of the room. Therefore the touch of my room is marvelous, which can be cool and warm at the same time. My room is bright overall. There are two main lights on the ceiling and one standing lamp on my desk. Also the color of my wallpaper is a bright ivory and the furniture is natural wood color, which makes me feel tidy and calm. There are many books and clothes in my room, so that I can smell ink and paper and also the debris of outside breeze from the clothes. It's hard to describe the exact scent, but I could just say that I feel like I'm in an antique room. Though, my favorite sense of my room is what I can hear from outside the window which is right in front of my desk. When it's a rainy day, the soft sounds of raindrops make me calm. In a sunny noon, the chattering of children playing in the playground reminds me of my childhood. In a warm or hot summer, I can hear cicadas chirring and birds singing. I feel like I'm listening to variety of songs through my window. My room is full of these diverse senses I can feel, and that's why I love my room.

3 comments:

  1. Your first sentence tells me the topic about your writing. It is your room obviously!. Also you described your room with details in senses like sight- colors of your wallpaper and furniture, feeling- tidy and calm, smell- ink and paper, sound- raindrops and children chats etc. And i also like how you ended your writing, your last sentence raps pretty much about your writing. One thing i dont understand is ' THerefore the touch of my room is marvelous, which can be cool and warm at the same time". You mean when you touch the floor of the room you feel cool and warm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tryed to tell the sense of feeling and touch I get from my room itself, not only from each sections like floor or walls. Maybe it could be more clear if I write "Therefore the atmosphere of my room is marvelous,...". I agree that this sentence was not clear enough to understand the point properly. Thank you for your feedback!:)

      Delete
  2. The enumeration of your feeling about your room really helps me to catch its overall atmosphere. Particularly, I also feel calm when I read the part where you describe what you smell and hear even though the detail of the scent is a little bit vague. What I liked in this paragraph is the word 'marvelous'. It is just marvelous and I like it. However, as you mention, the phrase ‘the debris of outside breeze’ is hard for me to grab the exact sense. I understand it is an important part of an antique ambience in your room and it would be improved when you add more explanations of it.

    ReplyDelete