Monday, April 9, 2012

Kang Dong Hoon / A Favorite Piece of Art or Music / Wed11A.M.

201100014

Kang Dong Hoon

 

Not Ashamed to Be Korean

 

 One of the songs I like the most is Beautiful by Christina Aguilera. Aguilera is the artist that I like the most too. The song is listed on her second album named Stripped. I heard her song Beautiful when I was abroad in 2002. The song starts with beautiful piano, cello and violin sound. Then Aguilera starts to sing with her powerful and soulful voice. The first moment I heard the song was by watching its music video on the TV. On the music video, various kinds of people appear; Skinny boy, gays, bullied girl, punk, drag queen, colored races, girl with eating disorder etc. At the first, I could not understand the meaning of the lyrics. I just understand that the song was about the people who are considered odd and thus isolated from the society. After I saw the lyrics, I found that the song was really talking about people who are regarded unusual. Aguilera says that no matter what "normal" people say to them, they are beautiful and the words can't bring them down. I was really impressed by the meaning and message what the song wanted to tell. Especially because of the situation that I was facing was similar to the neglected people the song was talking about. At that time my family was living in France and I went to French school. I was the only Korean at my school and few of the kids used to pick on me. They used to make fun of my narrow, chinky eyes. Though I made a lot of friends and stayed well, sometimes that kind of word hurt me. I could not get rid of the feeling that I'm just a foreigner and can't harmonize with them. But the song Beautiful gave courage to me. I could overcome no matter what they said and be confident that I'm a Korean.

4 comments:

  1. I like that song too! Though it's been several years since the song was realeased, I still listen to that song often. Anyway, this paragraph is very well designed. You described the song at first, and then the meaning of lyrics, finally, your own experience in France. I think the whole flow is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is very moving. I haven't heard that song yet, but I can hear from your paragraph! Your description about the song, Beautiful, is really great - especially lyric part. And I can understand why you like this song and how it affects you, especially in France. Good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a matter of fact, I don't know Chrisina Aguilera very well. I just heard of her name and few song, but I really touched reading your writing. I especially like this sentence; "Especially because of the situation that I was facing was similar to the neglected people the song was talking about" That's because you connected your life and the song. There are so many good songs with beautiful lyics and melody. However, they cannot be truly great song to me unless they're connected with my story, I think. In this sense, you did good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 201100014

    Kang Dong Hoon

    Not Ashamed to Be Korean

    One of the songs I like the most is Beautiful by Christina Aguilera. Aguilera is one of the artist that I like the most. Her song Beautiful is listed on her second album named Stripped. I first heard her song Beautiful when I was abroad in 2002. The song starts with beautiful piano, cello and violin sound. It sounds gloomy and sad. Then Aguilera starts humming and sings with her powerful and soulful voice. The first moment I heard the song was by watching its music video on MTV. Her appealing voice caught my ears and dismal mood of the music video caught my eyes. On the music video, various kinds of people appear; Skinny boy, gays, bullied girl, punk, drag queen, colored races, girl with eating disorder etc. At the first, I could not understand the meaning of the lyrics. I just understand that the song was about the people who are considered odd and thus isolated from the society. After I saw the lyrics, I found that the song was really talking about people who are regarded unusual. The lyrics that stroke me hard was “No matter what we do, no matter what we say, the sun will shine your way”. Aguilera delivers a message through this song that no matter what "normal" people say to the alienated peole, they are beautiful and the words can't bring them down. I was really impressed by the meaning and the message what the song wanted to tell. Especially because of the situation that I was facing was similar to the neglected people the song was talking about. At that time my family was living in France and I went to French school. I was the only Korean in my school and few of the kids used to pick on me. They used to make fun of my race and nationality, so at times I was ashamed of myself. Though I made a lot of friends and stayed well, sometimes I could not get rid of the feeling that I'm just a foreigner and can't harmonize with them. But the song Beautiful gave courage to me. I could be confident about who I am and overcome no matter what they said. This is why I consider Beautiful as my favorite music.

    ReplyDelete