Monday, April 9, 2012

Eunbi Hwang / A favorite Piece of Art / Wed 11a.m.

Powerful impression, The spring

 

I have interested in impressionist paintings since I was a little kid and always wanted to see famous works. Luckily, Seoul Art Center, one of the most famous art center in Korea, held Orsay Museum exhibition in last summer. There were many advertisements saying The Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh visits Seoul so I could not help but expect this exhibition. Art works came from Orsay Museum which is located at France and famous for impressionism exhibit.

At exhibition, I fixed my eyes on the paintings of Gogh. The strong touch of brush made me feel that the picture was alive. But the most impressive work was spring by Milet. Walking slowly the big ivory hall, I stopped in front of it. When I saw first the white palm-sized cube which introduces name, drawer and period before watching the work, I thought the spring would be bright and cheerful. To my surprise, however, it was totally different from my expectation. Milet captured the moment after the spring rain of the tranquil countryside. Since the rain just stopped it was somewhat dark especially the bottom. There were two linear rainbows on the left side of dark gray blue and the sun was shining dimly on the opposite side. Under the woods and the golden farm a dirt road with small grass bent a little bit in the middle of the picture. Both sides of the road were two big trees and grass. The soft touch of brush made the picture mild and peaceful. I felt the smell of the wet earth and pleasant breeze in the moist air. During watching, the powerful impression made the time stand still and I thoroughly concentrated on The Spring in a long time.

1 comment:

  1. You described well about the piece of art, and also well told us the reason you were impressed of it. So your writing is interesting to read and its enough clear to understand your main point. However, one thing I would like to say is that the introducing part in the front of your writing is I think quite long for a paragraph. To concentrate more on the main part, where you are introducing the art Spring, it could be better if you summarize the front part like "I was interested in impressionist paintings since I was a little kid. So for me, visiting Orsay Museum Exhibition held in Seoul Art Center last summer was a great experience. At exhibition...". I think you can make your writing even better if you make the introducing part more simple! :)

    ReplyDelete